We strongly recommend that all parents or guardians of Kibooku users teach their children about safe internet use practices. For more information on child safety online please see the following link to information from Childnet International - http://www.childnet-int.org/
This policy (together with our terms and conditions and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal information we collect on our Site will be processed by us. We respect your concerns about privacy and we are committed to maintaining your and your child's privacy. Please read this policy carefully to understand how we will treat your and your child's personal information.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"), we are the data controller. The Act is a piece of UK legislation which sets out principles relating to the uses we can make of personal information and the rights data subjects have under law as an individual in respect of their personal information.
"You/Your" means the parent or guardian of the child using the Site; and
"User" means the child (aged between 6 and 13 years old) using the Site.
Information we may collect on our Site
To register with and use our Site, you and the User will provide us with some personal information.
The types of information we may collect, process and store are as follows:
- information you provide to us when you set up the User's Kibooku account such as your and the User's name, gender and birth date, email address, telephone number, credit or debit card number, the card's expiry date and your billing address. The User will also be able to upload a picture of himself/herself. In some cases we may ask for additional information for security reasons or to allow us to provide specific services to you;
- information on content which the User shares with other Kibooku users. Examples include when the User updates their status, uploads a photo, shares a link, creates an event or group, makes a comment or writes a message on another friend's profile, writes a note or sends someone a message;
- information about your computer and the User's visits to our Site such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of pages viewed to administer our Site and improve our Site;
- information relating to the subscription transactions you carry out via our Site. We will use information to action your subscription request and to communicate with you when necessary. We do not hold your credit or debit card details on our Site. They are passed securely to our e-payment processors for authorisation;
- information that you or the User provide to us for the purpose of registering with us and allowing us to send you or the User email notifications and/or promotional information (for more information see below under 'Keeping in Touch');
- information that you or the User provide to us for the purpose of signing up for our email newsletters; and
- information that you or the User provide when you contact us.
How will we use the information about you?
We use the information we hold about you and the User in the following ways:
- to help us improve the structure, layout and usability of our Site through monitoring the way that the User uses our Site;
- to administer our Site and enhance its security and to prevent potentially illegal activity;
- to process the User's Kibooku subscription;
- to supplement the User's Kibooku profile by collecting information from other Kibooku users (such as when they are tagged in a photo or mentioned in a post). In such cases you and the User will have the ability to remove such content (such as allowing them to remove the tag) or limit its visibility on their profile;
- to answer any questions you or the User may raise or respond to any comments you or the User may send to us;
- to notify you and the User about changes to our service or the functionality of our Site;
- to ensure that you or the User are complying with our terms and conditions and to comply with our statutory and regulatory obligations; and
- to keep you informed about us, our latest products and special offers where you or the User have consented to be contacted for such purposes (for more information see below under 'Keeping in touch with you' for more information).
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with anonymised and aggregated information about our users. We may also use such aggregated information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Keeping in touch with you
We are pleased that you and the User are interested in Kibooku and so we want to keep in touch with you and the User. We want you and the User to keep coming back to Kibooku and recommend that your friends and family use our Site. If you and the User subscribe to Kibooku, we may send you and the User updates with news about us, our latest products and special offers via e-mail and post. We may also pass on your details to third parties who may contact you for marketing purposes by mail or e-mail where you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to process your or the User's personal data for marketing purposes then please tick the opt-out box provided when you register to use our Site. You can also opt-out of receiving marketing communications the following ways:
- You can opt-out by logging into the User's 'My Account' section of our Site and changing the preferences where you have registered with us;
- You can opt-out by contacting us via our contact page; and
- All e-mails communications will include information about how you can opt-out of receiving marketing communications.
Disclosure of your information
We may share information about you and the User with:
- other companies in the same corporate group as us;
- a buyer or prospective buyer of our business;
- our professional advisers, such as our lawyers, where it is necessary for them to advise us; and
- other persons if we are under a duty to disclose or share your information in order to comply with any legal obligation.
We may also share information about you with third parties that we engage to help us in certain areas, including payment processing, name and address verification, email distribution. We provide these third parties with only the information they need to perform their services and work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected. We will be responsible for the use of your information by these third parties.
Access device and Browser information
When you or the User access Kibooku from a computer, mobile phone or other device, we may collect information from that device about your browser type, location and IP address, as well as the pages you visit.
For further information about cookies (including their removal from your computer) visit: http://www.aboutcookies.org/
Where we store your personal data
All information you and the User provide to us is stored on our secure servers and we will take all reasonable care to make our Site safe and secure. All debit and credit card transactions will be processed using SagePay, a secure online payment gateway. Where we have given you and the User (or where you have chosen) a password or user ID code which enables you or the User to access certain parts of our Site, you and the User are responsible for keeping the password or user ID code confidential. We ask you and the User not to share a password or user ID code with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Our Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
You and the User have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you or the User. If you would like a copy of some or all of your or the User's personal information, please contact us via our contact page specifying what information you would like a copy of. Please note that we may make a small charge for this service and we will also ask that you verify your identity.
We want to make sure that your and the User's personal information is accurate and up to date. If, for any reason, you are concerned that that personal information held by us is not correct, please visit our Site and log in to the 'My Account' section to view and change your personal information.